Excellent for High Temperature ApplicationsIntegrated Magnetics carries a large inventory of licensed, alnico magnetic materials in both standard & premium grades.
Integrated Magnetics designs and builds custom alnico magnets, and magnetic assemblies, manufactured to meet your specialty requirements. Alnico magnets offer high magnetic remanence, and have much lower coercivities than the ceramic and rare-earth types of magnet materials. Part of the permanent magnet family, alnicos are less brittle than rare-earth magnets, and exhibit excellent temperature stability. They are manufactured through either a casting or sintering process, and can be made into complex shapes, which are not possible
with some of the other magnet materials.
For more information about our standard or custom alnico magnets, send us a request for quote or contact us today and let us know how we can help. We also offer grade 5 alnico rod magnets and grade 8 alnico disc magnets, available for on-line purchase at MagnetShop.com.
- Sizes & Shapes: Sizes range from small disc magnets, 1/16” in diameter to large cast Alnico magnets weighing up to 500 lbs. Standard shapes include disc, rectangular, channel, horseshoe, rod, and rings in different dimensional specifications. Non-standard shapes can be custom fabricated to specifications from raw stock, and we can custom manufacture virtually any shape & size to meet your specialty requirements.
- Manufacturing: Alnico magnets are hard and brittle, and so are prone to chipping and cracking. Cast Alnico magnets may exhibit pores and voids common in cast materials. Machining or drilling cannot be accomplished by ordinary methods; cutting and grinding should be done prior to magnetizing. We are fully equipped to machine these materials to your specifications.
- Surface Treatments: Known for their excellent resistance to oxidation, alnico magnets do not typically require protective coating or plating.
- Temperature Considerations: Alnico magnets can be used at temperatures up to about 1,000⁰F (540⁰C), the highest temperatures at which any magnet material can be used. Approximately 90% of room temperature magnetization is retained up to 1,000⁰F (540⁰C).
- Magnetizing & Handling: Alnico magnets require magnetizing fields of only about 3 kilo Oersteds. Because of their low coercivities, special care should be taken to assure that these magnets are not subjected to adverse repelling fields which could partially demagnetize them. Alnico magnets should be stored with "keepers" which close the magnetic field in order to reduce the risk of demagnetization. However, if alnicos become partially demagnetized, they can be easily re-magnetized.
- Common Applications: Alnico magnets are commonly used in meters, instruments, sensing devices and very high temperature applications.
- Material Information: For more information about this material and data sheets, visit the alnico magnet materials page.