Advanced Permanent Magnet Materials
Integrated Magnetics carries a large inventory of licensed, permanent, Rare-Earth magnet materials. Magnetic properties for Rare-Earth magnet materials far exceed those of ceramic or alnico materials, making them the preferred magnetic material for many technical applications. We offer rare earth magnets in off-the-shelf standard sizes, shapes and grades, or in build-to-print custom magnet configurations.
We design and build custom rare earth magnets and magnetic assemblies, manufactured to meet your specialty requirements. Request a quote or contact us for more information about our standard and custom rare-earth magnets. We also offer a wide variety of neodymium and samarium cobalt magnets, available for on-line purchase at MagnetShop.com.
Custom Neodymium Iron Boron Magnets
The Most Powerful Class of Permanent Magnet Materials Available Today
Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) magnets are part of the rare earth magnet family, and are extremely powerful and versatile. Components that were once large and heavy by necessity, can now be miniaturized by using these permanent magnet materials. This often results in a substantial cost savings for the completed magnet assembly. High in strength and less brittle, but more temperature sensitive than the SmCo types of rare earth magnets, neodymium magnets are often the more cost effective choice.
- Sizes & Shapes: Neodymium iron boron rare earth magnets range in size from micro-dimensions (0.010") to assemblies weighing several tons. Standard shapes include discs, blocks, rings, and arc segments in different grades. Non-standard shapes can be custom fabricated to specifications from raw stock.
- Manufacturing: Due to the relatively brittle nature and high magnetic strength of NdFeB magnets, cutting and grinding should be done prior to magnetization. Integrated Magnetics can custom manufacture neodymium custom magnets in virtually any shape and size to meet your requirements, using our in-house grinding and EDM facilities. Finishing to tolerances of +0.0001" can be achieved, as required.
- Surface Treatments:NdFeB magnets are susceptible to oxidation, so painting, epoxy coating, or plating is highly recommended to prevent corrosion. Integrated Magnetics can coat your custom magnets with a wide variety of materials, including nickel plating, IVD, or epoxy coatings.
- Temperature Considerations: Neodymium magnets are temperature sensitive. For applications in which the magnet may be exposed to temperatures in excess of about 250°F (120°C), careful consideration must be given to the choice of magnet grade and the magnetic circuit.
- Magnetizing & Handling: Sintered neodymium rare earth magnets are anisotropic and have a strongly preferred magnetic orientation, while isotropic bonded NdFeB materials, though weaker, can be magnetized in any direction, or with multiple poles. Special magnetizing fixtures are required in order to achieve multiple pole magnetization. Magnetizing fields in excess of 35 kilo Oersteds are required to magnetize these materials. NdFeB materials are mechanically weak, but are magnetically very strong. They must therefore be handled carefully to avoid injury to personnel and damage to the magnets.
- Common Applications: Neodymium rare earth magnets are frequently used in holding systems requiring very high holding forces, high field yoke magnets, magnetic bearings, magnetic couplings, loudspeakers, Halbach arrays, headphones, microphones, magnetic separation, instrumentation, switches, relays, magnetic resonance, sputtering, vacuum deposition, charged particle beam guidance, particle accelerators, undulators, wigglers, high performance stepper, DC, servo, linear, voice coil motors, and more.
- Magnet Materials: For more detailed material information and data sheets, view our neodymium magnet materials page.
Custom Samarium Cobalt Magnets
High Performance Permanent Magnets with Excellent Temperature Stability
Samarium cobalt magnets (or SmCo magnets), also part of the rare earth magnet family. These high-performance magnets are extremely powerful and available in different grades that span a range of properties and application requirements. SmCo magnets have a very high resistance to demagnetization and to corrosion. They exhibit excellent temperature stability, and can operate at temperatures up to 525°F (300°C).
- Sizes & Shapes: Standard samarium cobalt magnet shapes include discs, blocks, rings, and arc segments in a variety of sizes and grades. Non-standard shapes can be custom fabricated to blueprint specifications from raw stock. We can custom manufacture samarium cobalt magnets in virtually any shape and size to meet your requirements.
- Manufacturing: SmCo magnets are extremely brittle, and prone to chipping and cracking. Special machining techniques, involving diamond-grinding techniques, must be used to machine this material prior to magnetization. We are fully equipped to machine SmCo materials to your specifications.
- Surface Treatments: The corrosion resistance of SmCo is very good, therefore coatings for corrosion resistance are generally not required.
- Temperature Considerations: Samarium cobalt magnets exhibit magnetic properties that are very stable with temperature, and may be used in applications where temperatures may reach 572°F (300°C). SmCo rare earth magnets perform very well where the stability of magnetic characteristics is critical.
- Magnetizing & Handling: SmCo magnets are anisotropic, and can only be magnetized in the orientation direction. Magnetizing fields in excess of 50 kOe are required to saturate these materials (more for SmCo 2:17). SmCo materials are mechanically very weak, but magnetically very strong. Therefore, they must be handled very carefully to avoid injury to personnel and damage to the magnets.
- Common Applications: Samarium cobalt magnets are frequently used in holding systems requiring very high holding forces, high field yoke magnets, magnetic bearings, magnetic couplings, loudspeakers, Halbach arrays, headphones, microphones, magnetic separation, instrumentation, switches, relays, magnetic resonance, sputtering, vacuum deposition, charged particle beam guidance, particle accelerators, undulators, wigglers, high performance stepper, DC, servo, linear, voice coil motors and more.
- Magnet Materials: For more detailed material information and data sheets, view our samarium cobalt magnet materials page.
Your Custom Rare Earth Magnet Project - How Can We Help?
Integrated Magnetics has more than 50 years’ experience in the design and manufacture of custom rare earth magnets.Send us a request for quote or contact us today to discuss your project's specialty requirements, and our experienced team of engineers will help you determine the most cost effective way of providing you with what you need. We also carry a large inventory of magnets for on-line purchase. Visit our sister company, MagnetShop.com to learn more.